Wedding DIY: Paper Rose Bouquets


This post could also be called “How I Made my Paper Flower Bouquets.” This isn’t strictly a DIY tutorial as much as it is a proclamation of my love and respect for Lia Griffith and her fabulous blog. I’m not sure how my wedding bouquet and table centrepieces would have turned out without her. I just hope that, if she ever sees this, she doesn’t mind that I adapted her design so I could customize the pattern to suit my needs.


I followed Lia’s fantastic tutorial for making paper roses. You can see the blog post here or follow the YouTube video here. I started with her pink roses to experiment. I enjoyed it so much, I decided to do one for every table at our wedding-nine colors in all.


Since every table at our wedding will have its own color, each table needed a bouquet and a vase in the same color to match. I am almost hesitant to admit this, but I altered Lia’s patterns so the petal outlines she provides are in different colors. Then I found various watercolor textures online and printed those out over the pattern and on the other side of the paper. Then I followed Lia’s super awesome tutorial for the rest of it. (Although I didn’t do the leaves. *shrug*)

There are a lot of different DIY tutorials for jar tinting. This is basically how we did it. I included some tips below that will help you out.

TIP 1: Depending on how bright/dark you want your color, add more food coloring to your mix. Some tutorials also suggest adding water to your mix to dilute the color a little. This just leads to streaks in your colors. I didn’t mind this because I’m having a watercolor themed wedding, so it actually worked out, but if you are going for a solid color look, don’t add water.

TIP 2: Some tutorials will also suggest baking the jar so the opening is facing down, letting the excess glue and food coloring drip out the bottom. I found this left a yucky, sticky film at the bottom and the inside of the jar didn’t tint nearly as evenly. I’d say bake them with the hole facing up.

TIP 3: I had especially good results when I left the oven on its lowest setting for quite a while, checking on it to see how the glue/Modge Podge was drying inside. As it is baking, you can see the milkiness fade. When the milky glue look is all gone, you’re done!

I glued a strip of ribbon to the top of the jar with a hot glue gun. This hides any flaking that may have happened at the mouth of the jar and it gives your flowers something soft to sit on. I also wrapped the floral wires in the same ribbon and glued it in place.

If you plan to do these for your own wedding, do a couple test runs with some extra jars first.

NOTE: My bridal bouquet is a bit different. I resized some of the roses and used different paper flowers. I’ll do a post about it after the wedding. 🙂


Did you enjoy this post? Please share on Pinterest!



Jillianne Hamilton is the author of Molly Miranda: Thief for Hire, its two action/comedy sequels, and The Lazy Historian's Guide to the Wives of Henry VIII. She is also a graphic designer, a history enthusiast, and a dog mom. Learn more.


  1. tammy
    August 12, 2015 at 7:10 pm

    I did the peach pink rose. they are beautiful. how can I make different color ones and still get the same effect? do I buy special paper. and where would I get it

    • Jilly
      August 12, 2015 at 10:40 pm

      Hi Tammy! Thanks for checking out my blog. What I did was Google “watercolor texture” and look at only the images. Avoid any textures with watermarks or writing over them. The bigger the image you can find, the better. Print that image as big as your printer can go and then print again on the other side. Then just print the petal shape over that same piece of paper on one side. Voila! Let me know if you need any more help. 🙂

Reply your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.