Me and 2017
Here are my highlights of the year.
- I published my third novel and released all three Molly Miranda books as a combined trilogy. This was a pretty big accomplishment for me. Seeing that big ol’ book on my shelf feels pretty rewarding I gotta say. Learn more.
- Colby and I visited Quebec City and Montreal. We drove there which was a new experience in itself (the mountains along the St. Lawrence River are awe-inspiring when you come from a very flat province). We spent an evening and a night in Old Quebec and then several days in Montreal. Our visit there included seeing three Just for Laughs comedy shows: Mike Birgiglia, Jen Kirkman and a gala show featuring several comedians. More on that here.
- I finished the first draft of my first non-fiction book. The Lazy Historian’s Guide to the Wives of Henry VIII has been on the back burner for a long time and I feel like I’ve been researching it for ages so I was happy to type the last chapter up recently. Learn more.
- I got to meet Diana Gabaldon with my mom. My mom is a huge fan of the Outlander novels and she got me into the show so taking her to meet Diana Gabaldon and get her autograph at an author event was a huge deal for us.
- We got an office dog! By that I mean one of my co-workers adopted a sweet pug/terrier mix named Peach and she’s so good she gets to hang out at the office on a regular basis. I’ve also dog-sit Peach a couple times. (Hoping to get my own pupperino in 2018!)
- I got into woodworking a little bit. I made a very simple desk for myself, mostly following video tutorials online. More here.
- I read 33 books. That’s a lot for me. A lot of non-fiction mostly but I got pulled in deep by a few great fiction stories. Follow me on Goodreads.
- I got into hand embroidery. I now want to embroidery all of the things. I haven’t gotten around to blogging much about this but I find it a nice hobby to work on while binge-watching Netflix.
- Survived my first year as a homeowner. We still have carpet but the rooms are painted. It’s a work in progress. More here.
- I discovered that I like salmon. Not sure why I didn’t pick up on that before but daaaamn, it’s so good! When you have Crohn’s Disease and you discover a food that you like that won’t bother your stomach? Well, it’s exciting.
Bonus cool thing of 2017: Motorcycle Librarian.
Jillianne Hamilton is the author of Molly Miranda: Thief for Hire, its two action/comedy sequels, and The Lazy Historian's Guide to the Wives of Henry VIII. She is also a graphic designer, a hoarder of podcasts and a history enthusiast. Learn more.