It’s kind of crazy to think we moved into our first home one year ago. I definitely thought we’d be further ahead with our renovations by now but, as it does, life gets in the way sometimes. But even with its imperfections, I can’t imagine living anywhere else.
What We Have Accomplished in One Year
- Painted the living room and hallway
- Painted my bedroom
- Painted The Husband’s bedroom (yes, we have separate bedrooms)
- Bought myself a mattress and a grown-up bed (I’ve always had crappy beds and pre-owned mattresses in the past… but not anymore!)
- Had my first experience building IKEA furniture (I’m a fan)
- Built a custom sewing desk for my office from scratch (I plan to do a super simple how to article on this at some point)
- Put in a guest bedroom in the basement (that’s not technically a guest bedroom because the window isn’t big enough to call it a guest bedroom but it’s there)
I’m not going to include a full list of what we have left to do because… it’s a lot. But the highlights are:
- Replace carpet in three rooms with laminate
- Finish decorating the living room, complete with a gallery wall
- Add a ceramic tile backsplash in the kitchen
- Get the driveway redone
- Paint my office
- Add shelves to my office closet
- Replace the window treatments
- Add a light fixture to the living room
- Change existing light fixtures
- Paint the shutters a bright, fun color
- Get a pool
- Get a dog
I don’t know how long it’ll take us to get everything done. I imagine by the time we do, it’ll be time to buy another house. But we’ll see how it goes.
My favorite thing about our house is my office. I spend a lot of time in there. I’ve got my scrapbook supplies, my art supplies, my computer, my printer, my Silhouette and lots of storage.
I also really like my bedroom. I used to have my computer in there and bright artwork but I think I made the right decision to make it more of a cozy cottage-esque oasis. It still needs some work but it’s definitely getting there.
My least favorite thing about our house is probably going to get some eye rolls. But… yard work. The Husband and I are two of the most indoorsy people who ever lived. The person who lived in this house before us was a big fan of gardening. There are six flower beds on the property in total, ranging from small to large. That is way too much garden. It looks nice but I just don’t have the time or interest in maintaining it, so I have to think of a solution for that.
When everything is renovated, I’m going to take lots of pictures and post them but I feel weird about sharing photos before it’s done. It’ll take some time but I think it’ll be worth the wait.